Minor in Writing & Literature
Declaration of Major, Minor, or Interdisciplinary Studies: Concentration in Writing and Literature
In addition to adhering to university requirements and deadlines, Naropa University students who are interested in declaring a major in Writing & Literature must also meet the following requirements:
- Foundation courses include 6 credits of work in WRI courses that are designated as prerequisites. These must include one writing course (WRI234, Creative Writing and Literature) and one literature course (WRI210, Literary Studies).
- Students must receive a “B-” or better in each foundation course in order to declare in Writing & Literature.
After completing these 200-level courses, students fulfill the remaining 6 credits of the minor through one writing workshop and one literature seminar in the yearl-ong Writing and Poetics Program, the Summer Writing Program or some combination thereof.
A prospective declarant who has completed one foundation course with a second in progress or who is currently enrolled in two foundation courses may be provisionally cleared to register for courses in the major with:
- The understanding that the student needs to receive a “B-” or better before declaring the major, and
- The understanding that, should the student fail to earn at least a “B-” in a foundation course, he or she will be required to complete the equivalent writing or literature course the subsequent semester and earn at least a “B-.”
- A student who fails to earn a minimum of a “B-” will be unable to proceed with taking 300 or 400 level courses restricted to “majors only” - until an acceptable grade in an equivalent foundation course has been earned.
- Each foundation course may be repeated once.
- Upon earning a “B-” or better in the aforementioned foundation course(s), the prospective declarant is responsible for going to his or her advisor to begin the declaration process before the end of the drop/add period of the semester subsequent to the satisfactory completion of the course(s).
Students applying to transfer from an outside institution directly into the Writing & Literature major are required to submit the following materials in addition to those required by the Office of Admissions.
- A sample of creative writing, poetry, or prose (five to ten pages)
- A statement of interest in declaring the major (one to two pages)